For those of you considering H&R Block for taxes this year, it’s worth paying attention to a rather dishonest ruse they employ to generate money.
On Amazon, a popular option is the H&R Block Tax Software Deluxe + State 2019, which offers a special wherein you get a 4 percent bonus gift card on any refund total. It currently retails at $29.99 and sounds great, but things should be broken down a bit more for clarity.
Let’s take a look at the feature bullets:
- Five free federal e-files and unlimited federal preparation and printing
- One state program download included – a $39.95 value
- Guidance on maximizing mortgage interest and real estate tax deductions
- Reporting assistance on income from investments, stock options, home sales, and retirement
- Quickly import your W-2, 1099, 1098, last year’s personal tax return
- Free live product help via chat – or get tax help from a tax expert for a fee
- Help Center has more than 13,000 articles, frequently asked questions, and tips in case you get stuck while preparing your taxes
- Must allocate all or a portion of Federal refund to Amazon.com Gift Card to receive 4% Refund Bonus
In other words, you (or the household) is probably covered under the five free federal e-files, assuming it’s not a massive family. However, while you do get ONE state program download, you receive ZERO state files with the bundle.
How much does a state file cost? Oh, just $19.95, or roughly SIXTY PERCENT of the price tag for the “Deluxe” package:
Imagine doing that for several family members, and all of a sudden you’re at eighty bucks so that H&R can SUBMIT the return. And in case the family is too large, or you foolishly purchased a less fancy package, expect to pay $9.95 per federal return to e-file:
But don’t worry, cause it’s “Deluxe.”